Search Entire Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2011

My back hurts....My knee hurts

Every now and then joint pain arises.  A sharp pain shoots through your knee and makes you feel like limping.  Or perhaps stop walking all together.  The same can happen to the back where it feels like hot coals are baking those joints and making sure they are WELL DONE.  Some people will say it is because of growing up and as you grow up things wear out.....  I believe Man's solution to comfort is doing more harm then good.  Here why....

I have no scientific Study for you.  All I have is my experiences with trial and error.  Every now and then, my left knee will sting.  When it would happen I'd usually suck it up and deal with it.  What could I do?  Take pain killers?  I'm not really a fan of drugs, so I didn't want to keep supplying myself if drugs drugs drugs.

Every now and then I would wear my KSO Vibram Five Fingers.  And what I noticed was that I wouldn't have ANY knee pain.  But that is because with vibrams it encourages me to walk on the balls of my feet ( No heel cushion/support).  I bypass landing on the heels and just walk toe to toe.

My walking shoes have a large heel.  Most shoes have this, but I feel like this is more of a bad thing then an aid.  The big heel encourages you to walk heel to toe

So when my knee started acting up, (I was wearing my walking shoes) I got up on my toes and in less then a minute, the pain subsided.  I walked around like this for a few minutes and the pain was gone!  I went back down to heel-to-toe walking and the pain gradually crept back into existence.  Then I got back on my toes and viola! the pain went away yet again!

I had a hunch that landing on the heel provides no way for the body to adjust it self for the knee.  The knee isn't exactly able to bend in every direction.  However, the Ankle is.  And below the ankle are over a hundred bones and all these bones make up your feet.  And your feet contain SO MANY NERVES!  Why would you need so many sensors if you were meant to simply land on your heel?

I theorized that the foot has that many sensors to help tell the body how to move and one of the ways to do that is to walk on your fore foot.  The result is that your feet will adjust your ankle such that it is good for your knee.  Best of all, it is all done automatically and the only thing you gotta do is keep your heels elevated.

The same thing applies for the back and possibly every joint that is part of the walking tool.

Try out this method and let me know in the comments if it helped you or not

No comments:

Post a Comment